Minneapolis, Minnesota CARAG Neighborhood Housing

The CARAG neighborhood, an acronym for Calhoun Area Residents Action Group, is a vibrant neighborhood of homes just minutes from downtown Minneapolis and located in the heart of the trendy Uptown and Lyn-Lake commercial districts and within walking distance to Lake Calhoun. This southwest Minneapolis neighborhood is bound by Hennepin Avenue to the west, Lake Street to the north, Lyndale Avenue to the east and 36th Street to the south. Home values in the neighborhood are on the rise due to high demand and very limited supply.

CARAG is well established neighborhood with several apartment buildings and single-family homes, the majority of which, having been built before 1920. The neighborhood also has a strong number of nearby entertainment, dining, service and retail businesses, particularly along Hennepin Avenue (Uptown District) and Lyndale Avenue (Lynn Lake District). 

At the northwest corner of CARAG is Hennepin Avenue and Lake Street, which is collectively known as the Uptown area. This unique and trendy area has long been a popular destination for neighborhood residents, suburbanites and tourists and is well known for shopping, dining, entertainment and leisure. The pedestrian atmosphere and the abundant specialty boutique stores and services have made the Uptown area an attractive location to live and play. Here residents will find numerous retailers, highly rated restaurants, casual dining options, night clubs, wine bars, movie theaters, coffee shops and grocery stores. There are several additional charming and eclectic stores further south along Hennepin Avenue on the neighborhoods’ western border.

The annual Uptown Art Fair is held during the first full weekend of August and features local, national, and international artists. One of the most well respected art festivals in the nation, the Uptown Art Fair attracts around 375,000 visitors and includes paintings, sculptures, clothing, pottery, jewelry, glass, food and entertainment.

The northeast corner of the CARAG is Lake Street and Lyndale Avenue, which is collectively known as the Lynn-Lake and essentially an extension of the Uptown area further west. This trendy area contains several ethnic restaurants, both fine dining and casual cuisine, along with several boutique apparel, houseware and specialty stores. Restaurants such as Its Greek to Me, Fujiya, Dulono’s pizza, and Bryant Lake Bowl are some of the long standing and favorites in the Lynn-Lake area. Further south on Lyndale Avenue, residents of CARAG will find additional specialty stores, boutiques and dining options.

The neighborhoods main park, Bryant Square Park, is conveniently located just south of Lake Street along Bryant Avenue. This popular park features an indoor recreation center, baseball, softball and soccer fields, basketball court and a playground and wading pool for the younger residents in the neighborhood. During the winter months, and for every year since 1913, an ice rink is installed for ice skating and hockey games. This neighborhood park also features a recently opened public outdoor performance space which is a small amphitheater used for performances, concerts and movies.

Home owners in the neighborhood are the minority, with owner occupied homes making up just 20% percent of all households in CARAG, with the remaining 80% of households classified as renters. Individuals or families looking for housing in this Minneapolis community might consider rental resources such as Craigslist.com due to the low inventory of homes for sale. If you are patient and motiviated to purchase a home in CARAG you probably want to have a real estate agent set up an automated search for you that will notify you immediately if a home comes on the market. This will allow you to be one of the first potential buyers to view the home and potentially write an offer.

Published in What's Happening in the CommunityTags:
0 Comments

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

      ©2016 REFERZ. Connecting real estate agents with clients in need

X
- Enter Your Location -
- or -

Log in with your credentials

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account