Most of the homes in the West Calhoun neighborhood in Minneapolis, MN are condos. There is a small pocket of property located along the western shore of Lake Calhoun which range in price from $300,000 to $1.8 million. The neighborhood sprawls across Excelsior Blvd. outside of the main Lake Calhoun area and here you can find units prices as low as $150,000. Zillow recommends a couple of West Calhoun agents including Dan Coleman with Edina Realty, Joe Houghton with RE/MAX Results and Ana Vogler with the Downtown Resource Group.
The West Calhoun neighborhood, named after the lake on its eastern border, is a residential and commercial neighborhood bordering the shores of beautiful Lake Calhoun. The neighborhood is bound by France Avenue to the west, Lake Street to the north, Lake Calhoun Parkway to the east and 36th Street to the south.
The highlight of the neighborhood is Lake Calhoun, located along the entire eastern border of the neighborhood and just steps away from most residents. The largest of Minneapolis’ chain of lakes, Lake Calhoun is surrounded by parks, bike paths, walking paths and offers numerous recreational amenities including fishing docks, swimming beaches, sailing, volleyball courts, soccer fields, and a popular fish and chips eatery named “The Tin Fish”. The 401-acre lake is also popular for fishing, sailing and windsurfing. Additionally, the nearby bike and walking paths surrounding Lake Calhoun connect with the Grand Rounds National Scenic Byway to offer residents of the West Calhoun neighborhood access to miles of trails, bike and walking paths throughout Minneapolis.
The neighborhood is mixed with roughly two dozen upper scale single-family homes in the southern portion of the neighborhood while the northern portion contains a commercial shopping district with multi-family condominiums, apartment buildings and a few single family homes mixed in, located closer to Lake Calhoun. The exclusive Minikahda Club, which is the oldest golf course in Minneapolis, occupies most of the southern portion of the neighborhood.
The commercial shopping district in the northern part of the neighborhood contains several restaurants and stores, highlighted by a large Whole Foods grocery store. Other businesses in this area include a coffee shop, half a dozen casual dining restaurants, ice cream parlor and wine shop. There is an additional retail shopping area located just north of the neighborhood across Lake Street and the fashionable Uptown neighborhood is just minutes east of the West Calhoun neighborhood.
Several rental buildings are scattered throughout the northern portion of the neighborhood and the styles range from one-story duplexes to mid and high-rise buildings that have amazing views of Lake Calhoun and miles beyond.
At the very southern edge of the neighborhood is The Bakken Museum, one of the few museums in the nation devoted to the history and nature of electricity and magnetism. Established by the founder of Medtronic, the museum is house in an impressive and architecturally magnificent stone mansion originally built in 1928.
There are very few home owners in the neighborhood with owner occupied homes making up just 17.5% percent of all households in West Calhoun, with the remaining 82.5% of households considered as renters. Average median household income is slightly higher at $48,250 per household as compared to an overall household income for Minneapolis of $37,974.
The West Calhoun neighborhood is located in an ideal urban setting next to one of the best recreational amenities Minneapolis has to offer and in close proximity to numerous shopping, dining and entertainment options.Published in Tags: edina realty agents minneapolis real estate west calhoun homes